A Brush with Kindness is an exterior home preservation service that provides painting, landscaping, and minor repair services for homeowners in need. ABWK helps low-income homeowners impacted by age, disability and family circumstances, who struggle to maintain the exterior of their homes, reclaim their homes with pride and dignity.
- Minor exterior repairs
- Exterior painting
- Yard cleanup
Projects that do not qualify
- Roof repair, leaks or structural problems.
- Beautification projects such as the installation of a new floor just to enhance a room’s appearance.
- Projects that require building permits.
- If a project does not have a reasonable expectation to be completed in one day, it will most likely not qualify.
- Provide proof of homeownership and residency in Kern County. If you do not own the home you will not qualify.
- Willingness to partner with Habitat for Humanity-Golden Empire and contribute a minimum of 8 sweat equity hours.
- Remain in the home at least 3 years after the ABWK work has been completed.
- Demonstrate a financial need. This program is for low-income households earning less than 50% of the area median income. See the chart below.
|Eligibility Income Chart-Kern County
|Number of People in Household
How ABWK works
- Applications are submitted and reviewed.
- The applications with the greatest need and those that fit our criteria will be contacted for a site visit.
- The application and project assessment will be submitted to the board for approval. Due to the high volume of applications and conditional funding only some projects will be approved.